Annuities are a financial product that can provide a guaranteed income stream in retirement.
Essentially, when you buy an annuity, you exchange a lump sum of money, such as your pension fund, for a series of regular payments over a set period, typically for the rest of your life.
There are two types of annuities: single life and joint life. A single life annuity pays a regular income until you die, whereas a joint life annuity continues to pay an income to your partner or spouse after your death.
If you’re considering buying an annuity, there are a few things you should know. First, it’s important to shop around to find the best deal. Annuity rates can vary significantly between providers, so it’s crucial to compare rates and terms from several companies before making a decision.
To buy an annuity, you’ll need to contact a financial advisor or broker who specializes in retirement planning. They will help you understand your options and guide you through the process of purchasing an annuity that meets your needs.
One type of annuity that’s worth considering is an Escalating Annuity. This type of annuity provides a regular income that increases each year to keep pace with inflation. This means that the amount you receive will increase over time, providing some protection against rising costs of living.
Get your own retirement planning pension review by using the online form below
You can choose to get a review on an existing pension and/or enquire about setting up a new plan.
So, why should you consider buying an annuity? Here are 3 reasons why:
- Guaranteed income: An annuity provides a reliable, predictable income stream that you can depend on throughout your retirement.
- Peace of mind: With an annuity, you don’t have to worry about investment risk or market fluctuations. Your income is guaranteed, regardless of how the stock market performs.
- No need to manage investments: With an annuity, you don’t have to worry about managing your investments or making difficult financial decisions. The annuity provider takes care of all the investment management, leaving you free to enjoy your retirement.
On the other hand, here are 3 reasons why you may NOT want to buy an annuity:
- No flexibility: Once you buy an annuity, you’re locked into that contract for life. You can’t change your mind or adjust the terms of the contract if your circumstances change.
- Inflation risk: Annuities provide a fixed income stream that may not keep pace with inflation. This means that over time, the purchasing power of your income may decrease.
- No legacy: When you buy an annuity, you’re effectively giving up your pension fund in exchange for a regular income. This means that there may be no funds left to pass on to your heirs after your death.
Another alternative to consider is life insurance. Life insurance provides a lump sum payment to your beneficiaries after your death. While it doesn’t provide a regular income stream like an annuity, it can be a useful way to provide financial support to your loved ones after you’re gone.
In conclusion, annuities were a popular way to convert a pension fund into a guaranteed income stream in retirement and they may be become more attractive again if the macroeconomic outlook in terms of inflation and interest rates reverts to a pattern we had in the seventies and eighties.
If you’re considering buying an annuity, it’s important to shop around, consider your options, and understand the advantages and disadvantages. An annuity can provide a reliable income stream and peace of mind, but it’s not the right choice for everyone. Be sure to speak with a financial advisor or broker who specializes in retirement planning to help you make the best decision for your unique circumstances.
If you would like a quick check of your own existing pension retirement options, just submit this 2 minute questionnaire below and we can do a no-obligation quick review of same. Of course if you would like to start a new pension, you have come to a good place too.